2017 Chesterton Conference
Laughter in Paradise - GK Chesterton and Humour
was held on
October 21, 2017
Campion College, Sydney
"A good joke,” wrote G. K. Chesterton, “is the closest thing we have to divine revelation."
More than 50 people from as far afield as Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane attended the 2017 conference on Chesterton and humour, held on Saturday, October 21, at Campion College in Sydney.
Papers were delivered on topics as varied as the history of Christian humour, revealed in the works of such authors as Dante, Chaucer, Cervantes, and Chesterton (Stephen McInerney); the mystical dimensions of comedy (Gary Furnell); Hilaire Belloc as a “comical companion” of Chesterton (John O’Halloran); and a comparison of Chesterton and the Marx Brothers, as well as of related topics such as Jewish and Christian humour (Karl Schmude).
The papers were video-recorded and will soon be available on this website (www.chestertonaustralia.com).
A printed set of the papers is also available for $20.00 (incl. postage) by sending a request via an email to Contact Us.
- Stephen McInerney - Christian Humour in the Writings of Chaucer, Dante, Cervantes and Chesterton
- Karl Schmude - A Night at the Uproar - Chesterton and the Marx Brothers
- Gary Furnell - Spirited Comedies: Merriment and the Mystical
- John O’Halloran - Hilaire Belloc as a Comical Companion - Some Readings
- Richard Scully - Political Cartoons in the Age of Chesterton